Rental Registration

Registration is due beginning January 1, 2016 or within thirty (30) days of renting a property. The registration fee is $35 per individually dwelling unit, rented room or bed less any discounts. Failure to register may result in a fine.

Fee discounts are available.

Registering your residential property is important and is used to communicate with you to resolve tenant issues in your buildings, contact you in an emergency and to schedule an inspection with you. Your registration payment funds an ongoing rental inspection program.


Completing a registration for residential rental property includes:
  1. Register using a downloadable fillable PDF FORM returned by email, fax, mail, or in person. 
  2. Submitting documentation for discounts you might be requesting; and
  3. Paying for your registration.
For more information about registration or to download the registration form visit the Licensing & Registration Office in Room 307 of City Hall, call (207) 756-8131

After the registration information has been verified, an invoice for payment will be sent by email to the party certifying registration. Once you receive your invoice, you have the option to pay the fee online.

Discount Documentation

Submit your Discount Documents by mail, email to or in person

Pay the Registration Fee Online (link to MuniciPAY) or mail your check to Licensing & Registration Office, Room 307, City Hall, 389 Congress Street, Portland Maine 04101 or pay in person. Reference your Registration Number or Chart, Block and Lot Number when you make your payment.

Checks made payable to the CITY OF PORTLAND

Note: Owners and property managers that would like to register multiple properties should contact the housing safety office for detailed instructions on how to do so.

Guidance on Rental Units

A residential rental unit can be a rented apartment, house, condominium, or rented individual room. A rental can be for any length of time including:
  • Written leased residential rentals or month-to-month residential rentals; or
  • Short-term rentals such as:
    • Summer vacation rentals or winter rentals; or
    • Overnight lodging and casual rentals such as AirBNB and irregular room or apartment rentals. Overnight lodging where the State has issued a food service license and as a result has inspected the property for life-safety is exempt from registering.

Note: Owners occupying a unit on their own property are not required to register the unit they occupy, but must register the units that are rented.