Trash & Recycling
Despite the warmer than usual November temperatures, the City would like to remind residents of winter storm operations information as we head into December. Citizens can sign up to receive parking ban info and city alerts sent directly to them. Read on...
City crews collect curbside Recycling & Trash every weekday beginning at 6:30 a.m. Material set out later than 6:30 a.m. may result in a missed collection. Read on...
The City of Portland's Solid Waste programs provides City of Portland residents with convenient and environmentally friendly ways to recycle or dispose of unwanted items.
A staff of 19 employees provides a variety of services including:
- Weekly curbside collection of trash and recyclables
- Service and maintain litter receptacles located in public spaces, including 50+ Bigbelly Solar trash compactors
- Servicing and maintaining the "silver bullet" drop-off recycling center
- Providing contract hauling services for Ecomaine
- Providing waste and recycling collection services for public schools and city buildings
- Monitoring and ensuring safe and compliant operations at Riverside Recycling
- Providing nine household hazardous waste collection events
- Providing bulky waste collection services through the E-card program or through the Tag-It Bulky Sticker program which runs annually from April - November.
The City of Portland does not provide trash & recycling collection for Commercial Properties. Business owners must retain a private contractor for their trash & recycling disposal (City Code, Chapter 12).
Please call 207-874-8801 to see if your residential property is eligible to receive an eCard.
Only residential property owners, currently receiving the City of Portland's curbside trash and recycling services are eligible to apply for the Riverside eCard program.
You must call 207-874-8801 in advance to request an eCard for your residential property. eCards are processed once weekly. Please allow 5-7 business days for processing.
You may call 207-874-8801 to verify your card is ready to be picked up.
eCards are located at 55 Portland Street, Department of Public Works building. Please do not go to Riverside Recycling Facility to inquire about an eCard. This is a City program, not the responsibility of the recycling facility.
When you arrive to pick up your eCard, you will need two documents:
- A photo ID (such as a driver’s license)
- Proof that you own your home (tax bill, a mortgage statement, closing documents or deed)
Important: The eCard allows up to 10 eligible Bulky Items to be brought to River Recycling Facility at no charge to the resident.
Some items that will NOT be considered a "Bulky Item" under the eCard or Tag-it curbside collection programs are:
- Any material that will fit in a 15 gallon or 30 gallon blue City trash bag
- Construction, Renovation, Demolition Waste
- Commercial Waste
- NO Electronics *NEW 2015*- TV’s, Computers, Printers, Stereos, DVD players, VCR’s, etc. (electronics such as these are covered on eCard but not curbside collection)
- NO Universal Waste *NEW 2015* - Light bulbs, Batteries, White Goods (washer/dryer/dishwasher/fridge/freezer etc.)
- Car Parts and Batteries
- Propane Tanks
- Liquids of any kind (Oil & Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Can be brought to Riverside on HHW days ONLY. Visit http://riversiderecycles.com/hazardous-waste for details
Most of these items and more can be brought to Riverside Recycling Facility for a fee. Riverside's fee schedule can be found at http://riversiderecycles.com/pricing
"TAG-IT" Bulky Collection Program
OPERATED from APRIL - NOVEMBER
Please check back April 2017
For those who wish to participate, the Department of Public Service’s bulky item collection program provides a convenient way to dispose of many items. Everyone who lives in a home, apartment building, or condominium that receives weekly service from Portland’s trash and recycling crews is eligible to participate. Items that weigh 30 lbs. or less and do not fit in a city trash bag, will be collected free of charge (limit 10 items per dwelling unit per year) while items that weigh more than 30 lbs. will be collected subject to a $40 fee. Click here to request your tag.
Items Acceptable for the Tag-It Curbside Program including:• ITEMS that CAN & CANNOT be collected curbside
Items that fit in a City trash bag are NOT eligible for the curbside collection program.
Please note that the city’s bulky item collection program cannot pick up electronic items such as televisions, computer monitors or other computer components and peripherals. For more information about recycling these items, see e-waste recycling web page.
Bulky Item CollectionLink to page
Curbside Trash CollectionLink to page
eWasteLink to page
Grass, Leaves & BrushLink to page
Household Hazardous Waste DisposalLink to page
Purple Trash Bags
Purple Trash BagsLink to page
Riverside Recycling FacilityLink to page
Single Sort RecyclingLink to page
The City of Portland’s Riverside eCard is available to Portland residential property owners who use the City’s Trash & Recycling Services. The eCard allows free disposal of eligible items within the limits of the program. Properties that have a private disposal company are NOT eligible for the eCard program.Link to page