Riverton Trolley Park was established in 1896. At the turn of the century, the Park was one of Portland's premier attractions. It was established in 1896 and operated until 1929. The park, which was served by a trolley that departed from Monument Square, contained a casino, an amphitheater, dance hall, and a wildlife petting zoo.
People came to enjoy leisurely strolls through the woods, quiet boat rides on the Presumpscot River, concerts at the bandstand, croquet games on the spacious lawns, picnics in the rustic woodlands, and vaudeville shows at the open air theater.
Friends of the Riverton Trolley Park
In 1997, a group organized and became known as the Friends of Riverton Trolley Park. The group meets monthly and shares memorabilia from the park. They have organized park cleanup events and historical guided tours of the area.