The Department of Public Works would like to update you on the status and activities regarding the above referenced project. As a reminder, this project will separate the existing combined sewer in the street to a separate sanitary sewer and stormwater drain and is related to the City’s Clean Water Act compliance goals.
Spring has arrived and the City’s and Portland Water District’s contractor R.E. Coleman will be returning to the site to complete the installation of the green infrastructure within the curb extensions and the process of restoring the esplanades. Work also includes the curb and sidewalk installation on Avon Street between Deering and the limit of street closure for 667 Congress Street activities.
We have also been informed that Unitil will be replacing their gas main in Avon Street – Deering Street to Congress Street.
Although you have read it several time I would remind you of the following points:
• Paint indicating underground utilities is being refreshed on the street. The contractor will be completing a layout of curb and green infrastructure.
• Portions of the road where the contractor is working will be posted as “No Parking” as necessary when construction activities warrant it. This is done to protect your vehicles and to make moving around the site safer for the contractor as there will be a lot of construction activity.
• The contractor will begin work each morning at 7:00 AM and typically work until 5:00 PM.
• The contractor will be stockpiling necessary materials for the project within Deering Street.
• You will have access to driveways on a daily basis but may be asked to move your vehicle out of the driveway if the contractor will be working right in front of it for the day.
• We ask that you observe and respect the flaggers and any traffic directional changes as we progress.
• It is intended that any school bus pickup and drop off remain at their current locations.
• Trash and recycling pickup for all streets will remain the same on Thursdays. Please make sure both trash and recycling are at your curb by 6:00 AM.
Mr. Dylan Stuart of Sebago Technics continues to serve as the City’s Inspector and will be onsite daily. I thank you again for your patience during this period. We are almost complete. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact myself at 874-8846 or catch Dylan onsite during the day.