Back Cove West Storage Conduit
The project is under construction by Sargent Corporation from Stillwater, ME. Construction will continue throughout 2021, 2022 and 2023.
Construction Update: September 10, 2021
Sargent continues to install 60 inch pipe within Baxter Boulevard towards Vannah Avenue. They also have been installing sheet piling and bracing near the Baxter Boulevard pump station in order to install the large diameter structures. These sheet piles go 30 feet deep.
Baxter Boulevard from Vannah to Dartmouth Street was also closed on 9/7/21. This was so that the contractor can remove the pavement surface and continue with blasting before the 60 inch pipe crew gets to Vannah Avenue.
**MAJOR TRAFFIC ALERT** Baxter Boulevard Traffic Impacts
Sargent Corporation was the low bidder with a bid of $27,272,257.00
The Notice of Award was issued on December 28, 2020 and signed on December 29, 2020.
City of Portland's Planning Authority has approved a Level 1 Site Alteration Permit on December 30, 2020.
Maine DEP has issued a Finding of No Significant Impact for the Back Cove West Storage Conduit Project. The report has been posted below under Press Releases.
On March 4, 2020 the City of Portland had a neighborhood meeting on this project. The presentation given at the meeting can be found under Press Releases.
A set of construction plans can be viewed: HERE
- 2.25 Million Gallon Underground Storage Conduit.
- New 1,690 foot long 20 foot x 8 foot box conduit will be installed in Baxter Boulevard to capture Combined Sewer Overflows before they reach back Cove.
- 2,133 feet of 60" round pipe to be used for storage.
- 8 existing CSO’s will be consolidated into 2 remaining CSO’s.
- New sewer, storm drains and water lines will be installed in Dartmouth Street from Baxter Boulevard to Forest Avenue.
- Streets within work area will be reconstructed, new pavement installed.
- Multiple storm drain outfalls will be replaced along Baxter Boulevard.
- Multiple long street closures will occur throughout the project.
- New traffic signal at Vannah Ave and Baxter Blvd.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING THE PROJECT
- Large equipment and machines moving through the area creating vibrations
- Traffic disruptions, backups, moving work-zone, slower traffic
- Streets will be closed
- Temporary disruptions to driveways, water, sewer lines (contractor must provide notification)
- Temporary water lines will be installed running across yards and connecting to houses
- Dust - contractor required to control dust but it will still get dusty at times
- Professional interactions with contractor (contact one of the people listed below, if this doesn’t happen)
SEQUENCING OF PROJECT
- Start of construction July 2021 and continue through 2022.
- Project will start by closing Baxter Boulevard from Payson Park to Vannah Avenue.
- Once the work progresses towards Vannah Avenue Baxter Boulevard will be closed from Payson Park to Dartmouth Street from September 2021 to December 2022.
- A 20 foot x 8 foot concrete box conduit will be installed from Cheverus Track to Mackworth St.
- 60" storage pipe will be installed from Mackworth St to Dartmouth Street.
- Base paving first of December 2022.
- Once this section is complete Dartmouth St will be closed from Forest Ave to Baxter Boulevard in March of 2023 to November 2023.
- New sewer, storm and water will be installed in Dartmouth Street.
- Spring 2024 Surface Paving and stripping of the streets.
WHO TO CONTACT WITH QUESTIONS/ISSUES
- Project Engineer, Portland Department of Public Works: Nathaniel Smith at (207) 874-8818, email@example.com